Snowstorm

The Word Warehouse

Where books go to get reviewed

Old Man's War

Old Man's War - John Scalzi I had a few problems with this book. For openers, I'm not a fan of military science fiction and it reads a lot like a Robert Heinlein novel. If you like him, that makes one of us. It took a while for the story to get going. Once it did it was fine. But as soon as it got to the shoot 'em up stage, the minor characters felt like interchangeable parts. None of them were distinguishable from another. So when someone bought the farm, it didn't raise any emotions. Another thing that got me was 75 year old people sitting around talking and swearing blue streaks. I don't say this because I'm a prude, but how many people that age cuss like a truck driver who's just been cut off on the road?Close your eyes if you don't like spoilers....I thought the bit about people getting a new body once they enlisted was a cool idea. And the modifications they got were interesting. Okay, you can open your eyes now. There was room for concepts to be developed here but the author would get on a topic then veer off to another.Perhaps I was predisposed not to be thrilled over this novel in the first place because I can't see what would generate any hoopla. This was Starship Troopers with a dash of The Forever War and a pinch of Ender's Game (if they were septuagenarians) for me. A light read yes, dramatic and breaking new ground, no.