Snowstorm

The Word Warehouse

Where books go to get reviewed

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making  - Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente This simply is one of the best fantasy stories I have ever read whether YA or otherwise. This is a modern-day Alice In Wonderland. I’m not sure there are enough adjectives to do justice to this book. It’s bittersweet, sad, funny, quirky and extremely IMAGINATIVE . I’m amazed at all the creativity in this novel. Every chapter brings a new revelation. The story deals with a girl named September and her adventures in Fairyland. This being a fantasy, there are quests to do. The story is not all sweetness and light, in which case it would have been sappy, but neither is it all gloom and doom. Victories come at a price.There’s a whole host of tremendous supporting characters, too many to mention them all. But be it wyvern or witch, they all have unique, distinct personalities. This is where this book really shines.There’s also some lol moments. Here’s an example: “But a changeling,” said September, “that’s when a Fairy takes a baby and leaves a Fairy in the crib.” “It’s more like…a cultural-exchange program” September is a smart and compassionate heroine. She berates herself a bit too often and sheds many a tear but she is under duress after all. It’s easy to sympathize with her. You will find yourself rooting for her and her friends.It’s a good thing for Cat that she wasn’t standing near me when I finished this book because I would have given her a big hug. I strongly recommend this for anyone, young or old, who would like to lose themselves in a sensational novel.