Snowstorm

The Word Warehouse

Where books go to get reviewed
11/22/63 - Stephen King As is often the case in life, what you want and what you get are two different things. Being a fan of science fiction, I would have liked for this novel to be based more in the world of John F. Kennedy surviving being assassinated. Would we still have gone to war in Viet Nam? Would we have been friends with instead of potential targets for the Soviet Union? There are a lot of cool concepts that could have been developed and expanded upon.But then King dangles the carrot before the reader and runs off and hides without giving the answers. He offers a tantalizing glimpse of what it might have been but it lasts for all of a few pages of this 800+ page cinder block. He nicely portrays what life was like back in the 1960s and if you never knew what a sock hop is you’ll be enlightened, but I can’t help but think this would have been better if it was pared down.The story centers on Jake Epping as he finds out the hard way that the past doesn’t like to have its eggs scrambled. Of course he falls in love when he goes back in time which complicates the issue and lengthens the novel. A lot of words are devoted to Jake and his interactions with others. I liked the idea of the yellow card man, even though we don’t learn until the end of the story who he is exactly. This was closer to 3 ½ stars than 4, but I’ll round up because it was hard to put down but it sure takes a chunk of time before Jake's ultimate task is completed.