Snowstorm

The Word Warehouse

Where books go to get reviewed
Red Seas Under Red Skies - Scott Lynch Keep an eye on your valuables for here is the return of liar, thief and bullshit artist extraordinaire Locke Lamora. I have to say I really enjoyed this, but a bit less than the first book. Partially due I'm sure to the bar being set so high to begin with. In The Lies of Locke Lamora, Locke gets himself into and out of a series of jams. In this book he works on one main scheme for the most part, so there's a shade less action as there are fewer dilemmas to get out of. Also at least in the beginning, he's less prone to be a menace to society. He talks to a man with a walking stick who is increasingly annoying him. Here he walks away. In the first book he would have crowned the guy with it.Overall, he's still "the clever little bastard.""Right on all three counts, actually."This has become my favorite ongoing series not only because of the strength of the writing but for humor as well. Scott Lynch can turn a phrase with the best of them. A person isn't stupid, he should just "use your misplaced acorn of a brain before the squirrel comes looking for it again." It's not cursing, it's "speech colorful enough to strike fire from damp tinder." And the one that really cracked me up, it isn't a bad hand of cards, it's "a parched desert" and "a wasteland of bitter frustration."I wish I could give this an extra half star because it deserves more than just 4. It's a really fine effort by the author especially since he adroitly avoided that potential second in the series slump.I'm looking forward to the next time we meet, Locke Lamora. Hey, where did my wallet go?