Snowstorm

The Word Warehouse

Where books go to get reviewed
Al Capone Does My Shirts - Gennifer Choldenko This is why it pays for writers to be creative. I was looking around for books by authors I hadn’t read before and I remembered the title so I gave it a shot. I’m glad I did.The setting is original. Imagine moving to and growing up on Alcatraz. The book is centered on Moose, whose father works as an electrician and guard. He has an autistic older sister named Natalie and his nemesis on the island is Piper who just happens to be the warden’s daughter.You can’t help but feel sorry for Moose and Natalie is a little conniver if there ever was one. The author captures the spirit of the kids and for the most part does a fine job of developing the characters, especially Natalie. Moose’s personality however, varies a shade too much. Yes, Al Capone is in the story but marginally without any dialogue.A funny, entertaining light read. I notice this book carries the suffix #1. I hope the author doesn’t run this idea into the ground with a load of sequels. There’s only so much you can do with a small island. Patrick McGoohan had the right idea. (Say what? You’re not a fan of The Prisoner? You should be.)Okay, plug over. It's worth 4 stars.