Snowstorm

The Word Warehouse

Where books go to get reviewed
The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker A pretty good effort for a debut novel. The writing in itself was better than most, but the plot is told only from the view of the protagonist which made the story seem superficial. I would like to have seen the situation told from different points of view. I believe this would have benefitted the novel by adding another degree of realism. This book has an end of the world premise but because of the lack of depth it doesn't convey strongly enough the multitude of problems people are facing. For instance, what would a policeman do? Would he try to restore law and order or would he head for the hills? Then there are two diverse groups at odds here, but all we ever hear of the conflict is through the narrator who is just a casual observer. There's room for more drama by playing up these angles, but it pans out because of the lone perspective. Overall I enjoyed it but I thought the story line should have come across more forcefully. I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could.